Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday, Cooking Sunday

Due to the events of last weekend, no cooking got done around here. Although I had an amazing time performing at Dana Point and a wonderful time at Disneyland with my nephew, I missed the home-cooked lunches once it was time to get back to work. Rich could tell things were nad when I brought a cheese sandwich for lunch on Friday.

So today it was back to a couple of basics and my first attempt at something new. I was behind on my episodes of Master Chef so I not only had the finale to watch but a bit more. That put me in the mood to keep the recipes coming.

10am rousted me from the couch and I made up a batch of ratatouille. Nothing new was added to the recipe this time around with the exception of shallots which I tossed in last time for flavor. If you haven't cooked with shallots you're missing out.

After the ratatouille was my first attempt at tomato and black bean soup. This came out wonderfully. You start by roasting tomatoes, onion quarters and garlic cloves for about 40 mins at 375 (I also added 2 shallots to the blend) and then transferring them to a 4-qt pot. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth, chili powder, ground coriander and salt and simmer it all for about 15 mins. Once it was done I blended it in the blender and and added some of that great garlic pepper sauce that Trent bought me from Gilroy. This is supposed to Holly's lunch food for a couple of days but I'm fairly certain a serving will find it's way into my lunch bag as it tasted amazing.

Lastly, I made up some of my increasingly awesome green curry with chicken. I added 2 cloves of crushed garlic and 1/2 diced onion this time around and I'm pleased with the decision. Holly tried the coconut milk before hand and decided that it was "gross" so that means more curry for me.

What are you guys cooking?

2 comments:

  1. I only cook on Tuesday/Thursday. My lovely fiance cooks the rest of the week (she is so much better than I). Tuesday will be my version of a Thai green curry with chicken (coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, yellow, red or orange bell peppers, brown sugar and chicken) over rice. It's a hit at our house. I can't recall what is on the menu for Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Moe. I'm curious about the addition of brown sugar. I use palm sugar in mine. I bet that brown sugar adds a different kind of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete