Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rich's Famous Roaster

I defy you to not devour this chicken like a lion at an open buffet of zebra meat.

The urge came over me about 10 minutes before leaving work to roast a chicken. No real reason. It turns out that Rich Hovey has his own recipe that Cherie swears by. A quick stop at the market on the way home (thanks for the ride cherm) and I had everything I needed.

I call this "Rich's Famous Roaster" because (most of) the marinade and the stuffing are his idea.

Preheat the oven to 375F and get your roasting pan ready.

After cleaning the chicken I rubbed it with a mixture of the following:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 tsp sea salt
  • 3 minced garlic cloves (I loves me the garlic)
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 stripped sprig of fresh rosemary
As my hand gently massaged the marinade into the happily awaiting carcass and rested ever so gently into the roasting pan, I diverted my attention to an episode of No Reservations (Street Food from season 7). I'm a true fan of Anthony Bourdain and love to Netflix up an episode when I cook. Back to the prep, however.

Once the chicken was properly sexed up I tossed a full sprig under the chicken and got out the cutting board. I crammed... yes Moe... "crammed," a full sliced apple and pear into the beast as a stuffing and began to salivate just anticipating the eventual onslaught of flavor.

The last thing I did was quarter 4 gold potatoes and smash 2 shallots (not sliced), scattering them around chicken. Garnish with a crushed garlic clove (skin on) in each corner and toss that baby in the preheated oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment