Sunday, September 26, 2010

Open Faced Chicken Parm Sandwich


I've made this quite a few times and have never blogged it. Not too sure why but naturally on the night I decide to, I don't have the recommended Mozzarella cheese. Meh... I cooked it anyway.

The most crucial ingredient to this tasty dish is, quite honestly, the bread. Not to discount the intricacies of the cheese you use or the marinara sauce, but the bread makes a real difference with each meal. This time around I chose a Rosemary and Olive Oil Round loaf and I'll be on hunt for that guy again.

Ingredients:
  • 2 precooked chicken breasts. I poach mine rather than grill.
  • Marinara sauce
  • 2 cups of raw spinach
  • Artisan bread
  • Shredded cheese (cheddar works better than mozzarella for my tastes)
  • Grated Parmesan
I start by cutting the bread in half. Take one of the halves and slice it lengthwise. Hollow out each of these halves by scraping out all the bread that can easily be removed. This will serve as the bed for your chicken.

Coat each bed in a layer marinara sauce and rest a chicken breast on top. It took me a few times before I figured out that you don't want your piece of chicken to be amazingly thick. I now cut the breasts in half lengthwise and rest them side by side. Trust me, it makes for more enjoyable eating. For my sandwiches I put some sliced red onion on at this point but I leave that off of Holly's.

Cover each breast with a cup of raw spinach and coat with more marinara sauce. The object here is to put enough on top to prevent the spinach from roasting in the broiler. Sprinkle with as much shredded cheese as you wish and top off with the grated Parmesan.

Broil for 4-5 minutes and server. You won't be disappointed. Remember, the bread is the key. It can infuse a flavor you might otherwise miss out on.

And yes... those are cans of Tecate Light in the upper right. Sometimes a man just feels like slumming it. And before you insult my choice consider that I didn't buy Natty Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment