Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pickled Red Cabbage

Pickled Red Cabbage

Years ago we drove to Solvang and
found ourselves, like many do in that touristy haven of Danish delights, in a side cafe eating a simple breakfast. It was the first time I'd had eggs benedict and the first time Holly had tried pickled red cabbage. I can remember the look on her face as she ate it. She was delighted and in flavor heaven. "You have to try this!" I did, and didn't like it much. Knowing that it pleased her, however, I decided that I'd make it for her on occasion. Over time I've grown an affinity for it but I still make it "for Holly". In fact, I made a big batch of it for her graduation party a few years ago and it was a enjoyed by all.

We're having a friend over for dinner tonight so yesterday I whipped up this batch to go with the lamb meatballs we'll be making. Yum!

Ingredients:



1/2 large head of Red Cabbage
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Vinegar (I use Red Wine Vinegar)
1/4 cup of water


* I had already chopped up half of it when I took this picture.

Directions:

Thinly shred or neatly chop the cabbage, add sugar, butter, vinegar and approximately 1/4 cup of water. Cover and simmer for about 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally. About 15 minutes from the end, taste and add more vinegar or sugar to your liking.

I speak from experience when I say this dish is decidedly better when reheated. I like to make it a day in advance. Let it steep in it's own flavorific existence, you know?

Calories: About 225 in 1 cup... but 1 cup is a lot if this is a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment