Monday, August 30, 2010

Tom Khaa Kai

The objective with my cooking is not only to cook well (healthy can just be a part of it) but to be able to share it. Holly and Rich have both been the beneficiaries of my explorations into Thai cooking and I gotta say, when I nail it... I nail it.

Today it was Tom Khaa Kai for lunch. Translated it works out to "Soup with coconut and chicken" but the name doesn't do it justice. Coconut milk, fresh tomato, *galangal root, button mushroom, shallots, chicken and a mess of other flavors. Although it contains about 6 bird's eye chilies (seeded) the fish sauce mellowed out the spice real nicely and the palm sugar jazzed it up just enough to make this an amazing quasi-creamy sweet and sour soup. I was in love.

I could tell Rich liked it because he just kept looking down at it and back up at me with a smirk that portrayed all it needed to.

*The first time I had galangal was at a Thai restaurant up in Atascadero. Holly didn't remember liking it much when she was in Thailand but I lapped up that Tom Yum like I'd been starved for galangal all my life. So delicious. It's related to ginger and looks quite similar but doesn't have the snap flavor of its cousin. I don't how to describe it. Sour, tough, aromatic and just amazing. Lots of Thai recipes call for it and I'm glad I can get it frozen or jarred in brine from Bob down the street at the Oriental Market.

I wonder how this would taste with prawns...

5 comments:

  1. That looks soooooo!!!! good Marc...who would of thought along with your all your other amazing attrabeauts, I never realized I had raised such a good cook as well!! I guess that's one more good thing you have inherited from Grandma Hendrey *:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Can't wait to try more of your cooking... hmm... no more stuffed hot dogs though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm, I love Thai food and this certainly looks and sounds delicious. I think you inherited your cooking talent from your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I need that recipe! There was a Thai place in the mall that made that soup and its haunted me to this day. And that looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet day in the morning! When are you making it again? I'm on my way.

    I'm actually surprised you could find galangal up in your neck of the woods.

    Maybe next time a step by step post of the cooking process?

    ReplyDelete