Saturday, July 30, 2011

Chili Dry Rub Salmon with Saffron Rice and Steamed Veg

Chili Dry Rub Salmon with Saffron Rice and Steamed Veg

Most people who've been to Costco and look in the fish case have probably thought the same thing I always do, namely "What in the heck am I gonna do with that much salmon?" Well I was craving salmon so after I decided to freeze most of it, I started thinking that a dry rub something or other would probably make a darned good dinner. I was right.


Pre-heat your oven to 400F.

Step One:

I found this recipe online at www.food.com. While I can't take credit for it, I can attest to it's tastiness. Can I just take a moment and say I love knowing that I had all of these ingredients in the cupboard and none of them were old or stale? Take all of the following:

  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 tablespoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

  • ...and mix them together well. Taste it before we do step two and just imagine how it's going to taste on that naughty piece of salmon.

    Step Two:

    Spray a non-stick in a glass casserole dish. Lay your salmon fillets down and rub the rub all over those bad boys. Be generous.

    Step Three:

    Place in oven for about 20 mins. Recommended time is about 10 mins per inch but the oven I cook with was installed in the 70s and is awful. Everything I cook in there takes longer that it's supposed to. Remove from heat when flakey. Once thing I've learned about salmon is that it continues to cook for a couple of minutes once you remove it from the heat so it can overcook itself pretty quickly if you aren't careful.

    Look at that picture... that's one sexy piece of salmon.

    Saffron Rice:

    I cheat and use Mahatma brand Saffron Rice. We love that stuff. Takes 20 mins to cook.

    Steamed Veggies:

    Take one head of broccoli and cut into spears. Slice up the squash of your choice (mine is yellow), sprinkle with salt and steam to desired softness. I use my rice cooker to steam most things as it came with a steaming tray.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment